Bell, Book, and Candle
Policies and Rules
- Skill checks are handed out ONLY for Fumbles (96-00) and Criticals (five percent of effective skill or less, rounded up; i.e. a skill of 50 would Critical on a 3 or less).
- The Keeper makes rolls for perception-based skills or in other circumstances where the outcome might be in doubt (Psychology used to detect lies, etc.); results are then reported to the player (by secret note if appropriate)—note that a Fumble will give a false impression or result (although the player will have no way of knowing if he got a Fumble or Critical, just that he received a skill check).
- Similarly, insanities are secretly determined by the Keeper, then passed to the player on a note. It is the player’s responsibility to roleplay the insanity appropriately.
- Fumbled Sanity rolls result in max SAN loss automatically. Critical Sanity rolls (five percent of current SAN) result in minimum SAN loss if variable for a successful roll (example: Cthulhu causes 1d10/1d100 SAN loss; a fumbled roll would lose 100 SAN, a critical a mere 1 point).
- SAN loss is rolled per player by the Keeper.
- A “special” result (aka an Impale; twenty percent or less of skill) on an attack roll does double normal dice of damage (not counting Damage Bonus). A “critical” result (five percent or less of skill) automatically does max double damage (plus max Damage Bonus). So if you normally did 1d6 damage with a saber plus 1d4 DB, a Special result would do 2d6+1d4 damage while a Critical would automatically do 16 points of damage.